Grainger is North America's leading Maintenance Repair & Operating provider, and we are the 10th largest North American E-commerce player with over 50% of our revenue coming from online transactions. Within our Grainger Technology Group (GTG), we use technology to support the ever-changing and dynamic needs of a supply chain carrying 1.5 million products and an employee base of 25,000+ nationwide; and we are committed to delivering technical solutions to support the business in its mission to stay atop. We provide technology solutions across the enterprise including our call centers, branch network, sales, and our various digital channels. The team supports over 1000 applications across the network and operates in an agile environment to deliver complex solutions quickly and seamlessly. GTG is a team of 500+ and is comprised of Solution Delivery and Operations, Security, Insights, Data Engineering and Analytics, Platform and Product Engineering and are built in a way to support our dynamic customer landscape.Position Details:
Grainger is looking for an experienced Automation Engineer to work in a fast-paced development environment. This role will focus on the automation delivery of IT infrastructure utilizing, but not limited to, Python and Puppet. The role will help champion automation across GTG. You will work collaboratively with Technical Leads, Engineers, Architects, and Operations to develop product design and deliver solutions. You will work with Product Managers by contributing to roadmaps and backlog priorities. The ideal candidate has experience designing, building, testing, deploying, and supporting automated solutions.You Will:
- Develop and deploy an automation framework to deliver IT infrastructure services that will replace time consuming, error-prone, manual repetitive configuration and provisioning tasks.
- Design, develop, build, test, and deploy a workload to production. With knowledge and understanding of engineering best practices such as TDD, trunk-based development, frequent incremental iterative deployments, pair programming, etc.
- Perform automated lifecycle management leveraging configuration management tools such as Puppet, Ansible, or comparable toolsets.
- Implement Infrastructure as Code (IaC) through a Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) pipeline utilizing tools such as Terraform, CircleCI, or comparable toolsets.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with engineers, other technical teams, and management to expand the role and capability of automation in IT infrastructure.
- Recognize inefficient processes, drive projects forward, provide technical updates and communicate clearly and transparently in written and verbal formats.
- Provide guidance and direction to more junior engineers.
Rewards and Benefits:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, related technical discipline, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience as a software engineer
- 4+ years of experience coding in higher-level programming languages (e.g., Python, Java, or C++) at an intermediate or higher level with Object-Oriented Programming concepts, data structures, algorithms, runtime complexity, as well as unit and functional test methodologies.
- 3+ years of experience working with a configuration management platform such as Puppet, Ansible, Chef, or similar
- Strong experience with DevOps tools such as Terraform, CircleCI, Jenkins, Git, Bitbucket
- Strong Experience with hybrid-cloud environments with on-premises infrastructure, AWS, GCP, Azure etc.
- Hands-on experience with REST APIs and JSON payloads for various automation tasks relevant to infrastructure activities
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving, and the ability to debug complex-cross systems problems, and document root cause including remediation and detection
- Ability to process new concepts and technologies quickly, has a desire to continually learn and develop new skills.
With benefits starting day one, Grainger is committed to your safety, health, and wellbeing. Our programs provide choice and flexibility to meet our team members' individual needs. Check out some of the rewards available to you at Grainger
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans
- Paid time off (PTO) and company holidays
- Automatic 6% 401(k) company contribution each pay period
- Employee discounts, parental leave, 3:1 match on donations and tuition reimbursement
- A comprehensive set of emotional, financial, physical, and social wellbeing programs
"Grainger is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or protected veteran status."
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.